In the far northwest corner of California, Del Norte County is home to redwood forests, pristine coastline and 4 federally recognized tribes. One of The California Endowment’s (TCE) 14 Building Healthy communities sites, come visit a place based initiative just over the half way mark with the goal of creating health equity. What can building youth and people power look like in rural and Tribal contexts?
In a community with limited access to resources, grappling with educational inequities across race and socio-economics, there is a story of hope and power building as youth and families come together to build meaningful relationships and create systems change. Through the work of Generation Indigenous (#GenIndigenous), together we can elevate key issues and address the pressing needs of Native youth with culturally comprehensive approaches. Join NAP and TCE this October for our Generation Indigenous (#GenIndigenous) Funder Tour in Northern California.
Thursday, October 5
- Afternoon arrival
- Funders Welcome Dinner, Tolowa Dee-Ni’ Nation
Friday, October 6
- Del Norte Equity Days Workshop, hosted by Del Norte Unified School District
- Field Excursion: Fire and Water at the Yurok Center of the World. Klamath River boat tour
- Generation Indigenous, Indigenous Lifecourse Framework, Elk Valley Rancheria
- Lightning Rounds of Native Youth Health, Wellness and Equity
Saturday, October 7
- Generation Indigenous in ACTION: Attend a youth-led True North Organizing ACTION
- Funders-only strategy session and farewell lunch
- 3:30pm departure to Medford, OR or Arcata/Eureka airport