- This event has passed.
November 9, 2021 @ 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm EST
Important Note: Due to the high demand for this webinar series, staff of foundations, funders, and other grantmakers will be prioritized for attendance.
Native Americans in Philanthropy (NAP) is pleased to host Americans for Indian Opportunity’s transformative cultural competency/cultural humility training, Indian 101, for NAP’s members and guests. This webinar series is focused on engaging participants in a facilitated dialogue to generate practical strategies for partnering with Native communities and to provide a more positive, realistic understanding of contemporary Indigenous peoples and modern Tribal governments.
What Philanthropy Needs to Know
Foundations, grantmakers, and other funders are invited to join one or all the sessions for a conversation with NAP Member, Laura Harris, Executive Director and CEO of Americans for Indian Opportunity(AIO) and NAP’s Brittany Schulman, Vice President of Indigenous Leadership and Education, as they unpack the vital connection between philanthropy and American Indian/ Native American relations. Each of the sessions is an interactive experience that covers the past, present, and future of Indigenous peoples’ shared values as well as the diversity of cultures.
The Indian 101 events can be taken together or can be taken alone and are for all levels of experience with the topic. The programming is designed to build awareness and understanding of how racism and systemic racism impact Native peoples. Each session will build knowledge and suggest practical examples of how to incorporate Native initiatives into philanthropic and nonprofit programming and action.
Series Objectives – Participants will:
- Gain a better understanding of Indigenous peoples of the Americas
- Gain a better understanding of U.S.-Tribal relations and the impact of federal policy on Native peoples
- Understand how racism and systemic racism impact Native peoples
Dates and Times:
- November 9 at 1:00 – 2:00pm ET: Ancient American Civilizations and Diversity in North America (Part 1)
- November 16 at 1:00 – 2:00pm ET: Ancient American Civilizations and Diversity in North American (Part 2)
- November 23 at 1:00 – 2:00pm ET: Tribal Federal Relations and Indigenous Values & Resilience (Part 1)
- November 30 at 1:00 – 2:00pm ET: Tribal Federal Relations and Indigenous Values & Resilience (Part 2)
About the Presenter: Laura Harris